NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand
  • cazzano

  • Cazzano

    On Cazzano San Andrea’s coat-of- arms there is a “dancing Gypsy woman” still said to be wandering around the land. A Casnigo nobleman is said to have fallen to her seductive charms. The adjacent blue section of the coat of arms shows the old tower, the town symbol, over what is today the town hall and library. Cazzano Sant’Andrea owes its name to the ancient aristocratic Cazzani family, who, having provided a legacy to the town, were thus honored.

     

    Several historical buildings in Cazzano Sant’Andrea testify to a proudly-lived past. Among these are rural buildings such as the farm complex called “Cà Manì”, recently restructured, next to which a lovely public park has been developed. In 1233 this municipality could be found under the name “Borgo San Andrea”. In the year 1263, by order of the Grand Counsel of Bergamo, the village became part of the municipality of Barzizza. The area suffered the vississitudes resulting from the struggles between the Guelphs and Ghibbelines. Thus, after 1435, when the towns united in a confederation, Cazzano separated from Barzizza in the spirit of autonomy and emancipation that was beginning to make the village distinctive. By 1459 it was already an officially recognized Church parish. The village was administratively joined to Casnigo in 1928, but then regained self-government by decree of the President of the Italian Republic Gronchi on the 17th of December, 1959. Cazzano passed through a remarkable period of pastoral and agricultural productivity until 1820, when Felice Botta started mining lignite in a local basin. Thirteen miners were buried alive in one of the branches of the mine near the present site of the Radici company during the night of the 27th of February, 1873.

     

    Cazzano Sant’Andrea boasts deep traditions still expressed by special ceremonies such as the patron saint’s holiday of Sant’Andrea (November 30), Our Lady of the Rosary(2nd Sunday in October), when the whole town is festively decorated, San Rocco’s parade (August 16), to whom one of the village’s churches is dedicated. The earliest houses in the valley are in Cazzano, some of which date back to the 14th century. Among these is the aristocratic villa of the Count Greppi family, who emigrated to Milan probably because of persecution of the nobility by Napolean Bonaparte. The parish church honouring Sant’Andrea dates from the 18th century, constructed over foundations dating back to shortly after 1000 AD. Since then, the church was made bigger and more beautiful at various periods thanks also to the Greppi nobles. At the alterpiece is a painting of Sant’Andrea, a gift from Count Giovanni Battista Greppi, recently restored thanks to a local civic group’s initiative. The marble altar of Our Lady of the Rosary and the two angels on the podium of the main altar are invaluable works by Andrea Fantoni. The first week of July is dedicated to the annual “Cazzano in Festa”, which takes place in the municipal park, but remember also “Vintage nel Borgo” and “Sagra della cicoria” in spring.

    VISIT WWW.MAIS-SPINATO.IT

    il mais spinato di gandino

    Comune di Cazzano  www.comune.cazzano.bg.it

    Town of Cazzano

    cazzano

    Address Via Torre, 2, Cazzano Sant'Andrea 
    Telephone 035 724033
    comune.cazzanosantandrea@pec.regione.lombardia.it

    banner valseriana

    banner valseriana tablet