Leffe - Church of San Michele

The provostal church of San Michele Arcangelo in Leffe was built in the 18th century according to architectural design of Francesco Muttoni.

It offers a number of pictorial works and sculptures including the wooden simulacrum of the revered Madonna Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrow) by Andrea Fantoni. There is a monumental bell tower at some distance from the church. Construction work began in 1834 and was completed six years later, according to architectural design of Giacomo Bianconi.

The tower is 52 metres tall overall, excluding the cross at the top. It has an octagonal plan with a perimeter of over 21 metres. A 10-bell concert in “low note” cast by F.lli Barigozzi in Milan was installed on the bell tower in 1950. Weights range from the 2800 kilogrammes of the largest bell to the smallest at 175.